BACKGROUND INFORMATION: THE SITUATION OF CHRZANÓW

 

Chrzanów is a county seat located in north-western part of the Lesser Poland Province (or Małopolskie Voivodeship) by the A4 motorway from Cracow to Katowice. Chrzanów is situated almost half way between Cracow (36 km/22 miles) and Katowice (33 km/20 miles), and 21 km (13 miles) north-east of Oświęcim (Auschwitz).

 

The term Chrzanów Country is usually associated with the County of Chrzanów. On this website the term Chrzanów Country is used in relation to all areas which since the creation of the County of Chrzanów in 1853/54 were a part of the county even though some of them are now not included in the boundaries of the county (administrative reform of 1975 put an end to the Chrzanów County, and another reform of 1999 restituted it but within much smaller territory, leaving out Chełmek, Krzeszowice and Jaworzno. Here are a few most important dates from the history of the Chrzanów Country:

 

Since the creation of Provinces (voivodeships) in 14th c. to 1795:

Chrzanów Country was a part of the Cracow Province and Cracow County of the Kingdom of Poland.

1795-1809: Chrzanów Country became a part of the Olkusz District of the Austrian West Galicia.

1809-1815: Chrzanów Country became a part of the County of Krzeszowice in the Cracow Province (or department) in the Duchy of Warsaw,

1815-1846: Chrzanów Country constitutes an integral part of the Free City of Cracow (or the Republic of Cracow).

1846-1918: Chrzanów Country becomes a part of the Grand Duchy of Cracow, which in turn belonged to the Kingdom of Galicia in the Austrian Empire.

 

A road sign greeting visitors arriving to

Chrzanów County from the southward direction

1853/54: Kingdom of Galicia and the Grand Duchy of Cracow were divided into counties. The County of Chrzanów was created. Its western boundary was the Przemsza River, the southern boundary was the Vistula River, the northern boundary constituted the state boundary of Galicia (Austria) and the Kingdom of Poland (Russia). The eastern boundary with the County of Cracow ran east of Krzeszowice and Rudawa. So defined the County of Chrzanów survived until 1939. The county’s area was 721 km2 with a population of 79,000 in the second half of the 19th c. For a short time the County of Jaworzno existed, too (1854-1860), but in 1860 it was annexed to Chrzanów County.

1918-1939: The County of Chrzanów constituted a part of the Cracow Province (voivodeship) of the Republic of Poland. Its boundaries remained unchanged since the Austrian times and the population was 138,960 (1931).

1939-1945: For the first time in its history the County of Chrzanów was divided: the western part of it, including Chrzanów, Jaworzno, Trzebinia, Chełmek and Libiąż, was directly annexed to the German Reich, constituting a separate county of the Katowice District in Upper Silesia. The eastern part, including Krzeszowice, was annexed to the Cracow District of the Generalgovernment of Poland. The 1940 census showed 117,612 residents in the diminished County of Chrzanów.

1945: The County of Chrzanów was reunited in the Province of Cracow in its pre-1939 boundaries.

1953: The Jęzor settlement was detached from the County of Chrzanów and annexed to the County of Sosnowiec in the Katowice Province.

1954: The County of Chrzanów was enlarged by the village of Brzoskwinia ceded by the County of Cracow. The county’s area was 722,36 km2. Simultaneously the village of Lgota was detached from the County of Chrzanów and annexed to the County of Olkusz.

1956: Jaworzno was granted the status of an independent city with an area of 76,64 km2. Despite its autonomous status Jaworzno was still associated with the County of Chrzanów.

1958: The village of Lgota was reattached to the County of Chrzanów. The boundaries of the county remained unchanged until 1975.

1st June 1975: as a result of the administrative reform counties, including Chrzanów, were made obsolete. For the second time in its history the County of Chrzanów was divided, this time into 3 parts distributed among 3 provinces: Chrzanów, Jaworzno, Trzebinia and Libiąż were attached to the Katowice Province, Krzeszowice remained in the Cracow Province and Chełmek was annexed to the Bielsko-Biała Province.

Years 1980/81: first signs of social disapproval of the partition of the Chrzanów County and its annexation to the Katowice Province appeared: graffiti on the walls of Chrzanów and Trzebinia read: “Return to the Cracow Province NOW”. These were almost immediately removed by order of the communist authorities.

1998: A new administrative reform is adopted. The counties are restored from 1st January 1999. The County of Chrzanów was restored and at once it bid farewell to the Province of Silesia by joining the Province of Lesser Poland. It was unfortunately much diminished. A new and larger County of Jaworzno was created on part of the county’s former territory and it remained in the Province of Silesia. Chełmek and Krzeszowice were reunited with the Province of Lesser Poland, but the former was annexed to the County of Oświęcim while the latter to the County of Cracow. Now the much diminished area of the County of Chrzanów is only 371,5 km2, that is about half of what it was before 1975. The population of the county is 130,000. The county is divided into 5 municipalities: Chrzanów, Alwernia, Babice, Libiąż and Trzebinia.

THE TOWN AND COUNTY SYMBOLS: ARMS AND FLAG

 

BEFORE 1809

The ancient coat of arms of Chrzanów, the St Nicholas, has a Mediaeval pedigree. It is impossible to tell nowadays when exactly it was created, perhaps in the 14th c. simultaneously with granting the Magdeburg Rights to Chrzanów. The oldest preserved seals of the town of Chrzanów are charged with an effigy of St Nicholas, the patron-saint of the local church, who holds a crosier in his right hand and a book in his left and wears bishop’s vestments and a bishop’s mitre on his head. Next to St Nicholas the Półkozic crest is seen (the head of a donkey or a goat) which was the arms of the Ligęza Family, the former owners of Chrzanów. This coat-of-arms had been used by the town until c. 1809, when the authorities of the Duchy of Warsaw to which Chrzanów belonged to then, annulled all municipal coats-of-arms. Another version of this arms existed, without the letters “S” and “N” (Sanctus Nicolaus) but with the two Półkozic crests placed on the right and left sides of the effigy of St Nicholas. Such version was presented on commercial stickers advertising coffee in the interwar period, as well as in Polish Grand Common Encyclopaedia from 1963.

 

YEARS 1809-1966

In the Duchy of Warsaw all municipal heraldry had become obsolete and then replaced with the state coat-of-arms. The arms of the Duchy of Warsaw were a shield divided in half and placed under a royal crown. In the right field of the shield were the arms of Saxony (black and golden stripes divided by a green crown-shaped half-wreath). In the left field were the arms of Poland (the White Eagle on the red background). Following the fall of the Duchy of Warsaw this very arms was adopted as the arms of Chrzanów. It is not known why the ancient and traditional arms were not restored. Perhaps such choice was caused by a more “flamboyant” design of the arms inherited after the Duchy of Warsaw, or perhaps the fact that from 1804 until 1822 Chrzanów was a property of the Duke of Cieszyn and Saxony, Albert Casimir (*1738,+1822), son of the King of Poland and Elector of Saxony, Augustus III, and in a way it emphasized Polish-Saxon connections pretty well. The new arms were in use until 1966. It is worth mentioning that in the preceding years the old arms with St Nicholas was sometimes in use, too (among others in miscellaneous books on Chrzanów, etc.).

 

In 1964 a flag of Chrzanów was established. During the session of the City Council on 21st May 1964 it was decided that the city colours would be blue and red put in two horizontal stripes, exactly as the coulous of the Polish national flag. It seems quite probable that the choice of colours had been determined by the dominant colours in the old arms of Chrzanów featuring St Nicholas, and that is why such colours were adopted. In 2009 a new flag of Chrzanów was adopted. It consists of three vertical stripes: a broad one in the middle (white) and two narrow stripes in pale blue on both sides of it. The central white stripe is charged with city arms of Chrzanów in the middle. The colours of the flag (white and blue) clearly correspond to the national colours of the Free City of Cracow (1815-1846).

 

YEARS 1966-1990

In 1966 the colours of the city arms were altered by the City Council. Black-golden stripes of the Saxon arms were replaced by blue-golden ones (although such choice of colours had existed earlier, e.g. to be seen in Chrzanów’s I Secondary School in a restored freeze painted in the 1930s and featuring city arms in colours officially adopted in 1966) and the green crown-shaped wreath was changed into a golden one. In this period, too, the old arms of St Nicholas were in use. It appeared several times published mostly in various books on Chrzanów and in a metal badge featuring the city arms of St Nicholas and the name of the town. In the 1960s the Chrzanów County received its own arms for the first time. It was, however, quite unpopular and went into oblivion pretty soon. The arms was an ostentatious and pretty clumsy shield charged with elements having not much to do with neither heraldry, nor the County of Chrzanów and its history (laurels, a detail of a cog-wheel and a detail of a shaft-wheel, which used to be typical elements of communist ”heraldry”).

 

SINCE 1990

In 1990 the city arms used in the years 1809-1966 was restored including the original colours of the Saxon arms. It is interesting to note, however, that some publications (e.g. a local periodical “Kronika Chrzanowska”) in the initial period adorned its vignette with the arms of St Nicholas rather than the official city arms. So however Chrzanów has new arms, the old one charged with St Nicholas still keeps its favourite position with the Chrzanovians. In 1999 the arms of the County of Chrzanów was introduced: the shield divided vertically in two fields. The right field is red and is charged with half of the Polish crowned White Eagle. The crown, beak and talons are golden. The left field is blue and is charged with an effigy of St Nicholas holding a crosier in his left hand and three golden balls in his right and wears bishop’s vestments and a bishop’s mitre on his head.

 

It is not by coincidence that these exceptionally handsome arms refer to the original pre-1809 coat-of-arms of Chrzanów. At the same time the County of Chrzanów received for the first time in its history a flag of its own (proportions 5:8) consisting of three horizontal stripes: the white (proportions 2:5), the golden (1:5) and the red (2:5) and the arms of the county placed in the very centre of the flag. The colours of the county flag derive from those of the provincial flag of Lesser Poland. It is a pity that when the provincial flag was created, the traditional historical colours of white and blue of the Free City of Cracow (1815-1846) were not taken into account. These would undoubtedly have been more appropriate colours for the province and its counties. The white-and-blue flag was, however, adopted as a municipal flag of the City of Cracow.

 

 

ARMS AND FLAGS OF THE REMAINING MUNICIPALITIES OF THE CHRZANÓW COUNTRY

 

ALWERNIA AND BABICE

(County of Chrzanów)

The arms of Alwernia and Babice were created after 1989 which can be seen in a somewhat more accurate design and much greater care for heraldic details than it was the case in the communist Poland. Both arms are charged with local landmarks. In Alwernia’s arms we can see the tower of the Bernardine monastery together with a letter “A” for “Alwernia” and two spruces symbolizing surrounding forests. The arms of Babice are charged with a mighty tower of the Lipowiec castle alongside with the letter “B” for “Babice”. The colour green most probably symbolizes the greenery of the surrounding forests. The Babice Municipality has recently introduced its own flag consisting of two narrow, horizontal, green stripes separated by a wide, white stripe charged with a black letter “B” in the very middle. This flag can be seen flying over the Municipality building at Babice together with flags of Poland and the European Union.

 

CHEŁMEK

(now the County of Oświęcim)

The arms of Chełmek, established in 1969 when Chełmek had been granted borough rights, refer to local tradition, that is the shoe industry, which in Chełmek was most conspicuously represented by the famous “Bat'a” shoe factory. The red shield of the arms is charged with white elk’s head with black antlers. Beneath there is a yellow animal skin and against it a black boot and a detail of a cog-wheel. The version of the arms bearing the name of the town is inconsistent with the principles of heraldry.

 

JAWORZNO

(now a county seat in the Province of Silesia)

The arms charged with a miner, quite obviously referring to Jaworzno’s coal-mining traditions, were introduced most probably after WW2 (however in the beginning a yellow background, not white, was in use) until around 1966 when it was replaced with another arms charged with a sycamore maple (a reference to the city’s Polish name: jawor=sycamore) and two lumberjacks wearing Cracovian costumes, which may emphasize the many hundreds years old bonds with Lesser Poland and Cracow. These arms had been earlier in use, probably from 1901 when Jaworzno was granted borough rights, until WW2. After 1999 Jaworzno adopted a flag of its own consisting of two equal horizontal stripes: a white and a green one.

 

KRZESZOWICE

(now the County of Cracow)

The former arms of Krzeszowice was adopted around 1960 and referred clearly to the ancient status of a spa which Krzeszowice once had enjoyed (mineral springs) and to mining traditions (a hack and a hammer). The present arms of Krzeszowice, created after 1999 and designed with exceptional respect for heraldic principles, is arrestingly beautiful. Its red shield is charged with classical figures of Polish heraldry: the Topór (“Axe”; arms of the Tęczyńskis, the owners of the nearby Tenczyn Castle) and the Pilawa (arms of the former owners of Krzeszowice, the Potockis) over a triple white hill.

 

LIBIĄŻ

(County of Chrzanów)

The arms of Libiąż adopted in 1968 are a typical example of communist heraldry which by no means respected heraldic principles and referred ostentatiously to the communist idée fixe, that is industrialization. Although the arms are charged with elements of local tradition (mining and agriculture) it is definitely not a pattern to be followed. Excessive number of charges as well as sloppy design and especially the inadmissible inscription bearing the name of the municipality are flagrant (any inscriptions in the shield of an arms are in odds with heraldic rules; a version of the Libiąż arms without the name of the town is also known). A single look at the crown-less half-eagle in the arms of Libiąż is enough to realize how unattractive it is especially when compared with its handsomely designed counterpart in the arms of the County of Chrzanów. Perhaps local authorities will pay attention to this question and will draw appropriate conclusions as it has been already done in Trzebinia, where in place of dry communist arms, new handsome arms meeting the requirements of heraldry have been introduced.

 

TRZEBINIA

(County of Chrzanów)

The earliest arms of Trzebinia, most probably established already in the 19th century, was charged with a miner in black holding a hack over his arm, standing on green grass and against the blue background. It was quite obviously referring to Trzebinia’s coal-mining traditions. Such version of the arms can be found in Schneider's Armorial and in Gumowski's Armorial. The next arms of Trzebinia (on the left), adopted in the communist Poland (1977) was a splendid example of poor taste and limited imagination and it was further ignoring the principles of heraldry. This concerns in particular the hammer which was quite a bad match. In 1990 a new arms was adopted. It has a 19th c. pedigree and relates to historical traditions of the town. It is also a good example of an interesting coat-of-arms (left, below). The blue shield is charged with typical heraldic symbols (a Maltese Cross, a crescent and a star) and the choice of colours is not so ostentatious as in the arms of Libiąż. The star and the crescent come from the Leliwa arms of Count Stanisław Wodzicki, President of the Senate of the Free City of Cracow. The Maltese Cross has, too, direct relation to Count Wodzicki, who was a knight of this order. Count Wodzicki was President of the Cracovian Senate when in 1817 this highest authority of “the last piece of an independent Poland”, as the Free City of Cracow was once called, granted Trzebinia borough rights. And here one should seek the origins of these impressive arms.

 

Since 1996 Trzebinia has had a flag of its own. At first a white flag charged with city arms in the middle was used, later it was replaced with a blue flag charged with the heraldic symbols from Trzebinia’s coat-of-arms.

 

CHRZANÓW'S MUNICIPAL GOVERNMENT

 

BAILIFFS OF CHRZANÓW

The office of Bailiff of Chrzanów had existed since the Middle Ages until 1839 when it was abolished by the authorities of the Free City of Cracow. The list mentioned below has been compiled on the basis of available data.

 

KINGDOM OF POLAND UNTIL 1795:

1425: Grzegorz Orzeszek

1430-1431: Grzegorz

1431: Albertus Giblo

1431-1450: Jakub Dyak

1434: Grzegorz Gelithon

1450-1468: Jan Dyak

1468-1479: Maciej Nossal

1482-1498: Jakub Kaczka

1498-1506: Piotr Zuparius

1506-1518: Maciej Świerczyna

1518-1522: Piotr Zuparius

1522-1528: Maciej Świerczyna

1528-1541: Wawrzyniec Lorek

1541-1543: Mikołaj Krawiec

1543: Michał Drya

1546: Jan Świerczyna

1552-1553: Stanisław Charmęski

1553-1554: Piotr Karwowski

1554-1559: Maciej Mrzygłodek

1559-1567: Jakub Świerczyna

1567-1573: Piotr Nieżytko

1573-1579: Mikołaj Trzebiński

1579-1582: Aleksy Starczewski

1582-1587: M. Królik

1587-1593: Jan Biedrzycki

1593-1596: Wojciech Młynarski

1596-1627: Ambroży Klaszkosz

1627-1629: Wojciech Kuśnierz

1629-1667: St. Klaszkoszowic

1667-1671: Andrzej Strączek

1671-1676: Maciej Banikowicz

1676-1688: Andrzej Jamicowicz

1688-1692: St. Górski

1692-1700: Wojciech Wacławowicz

1700-1708: Mikołaj Dubiel

1708-1711: Wojciech Klarycki

1711-1714: Fr. Iwanicki

1730-1753: Marcin Goryczka

1753: Sebastian Saydak

1770: Błażej Saydak

1773-1778: Maciej Goryczka

1778-1780: Szymon Majeran

1780-1782: Fr. Gronkowski

1782-1784: Łukasz Goryczka

1784-1788: Błażej Saydak

1788-1790: Wawrzyniec Rzepecki

1790-1795: Wawrzyniec Oczkowski

 

KINGDOM OF GALICIA 1795-1809 (under Austrian rule):

1795-1798: Wawrzyniec Oczkowski

1798-1799: J. Wartalski

1799-1802: Filip Jeleń

1802-1805: Szymon Majeran

1806-1809: Błażej Chełczyński

 

DUCHY OF WARSAW 1809-1815:

1809-1814: Błażej Chełczyński

 

FREE CITY OF CRACOW 1815-1846:

1816-1829: Karol Spandl

1829-1839: Adam Janowski

1839: the Bailiff's office abolished

1839-1846: board of commissioners

MAYORS OF CHRZANÓW

The office of the Mayor of Chrzanów had been introduced in 1867 and survived until 1950 when it was abolished by communist authorities. The office of the Mayor of Chrzanów was re-introduced in 1990, shortly after restoration of Polish independence.

 

GRAND DUCHY OF CRACOW UNTIL 1918:

1867-1868: Jakub Janikowski

1868-1870: Jan Rzepecki

1870-1874: Antoni Głowacki

1874-1881: Jan Rzepecki

1883-1886: Antoni Głowacki

1886-1888: Jan Rusek

1888-1899: Jan Oczkowski

1899-1912: Zygmunt Keppler, Ph.D.

1912-1918: Jan Grzelewski

 

SECOND REPUBLIC OF POLAND 1918-1939:

1918-1920: Tadeusz Janikowski, Ph.D. (provisional Mayor)

1920: Józef Oczkowski

1920-1925: Mikołaj Bytomski

1925-1927: board of commissioners

1927-1932: Mikołaj Bytomski

1932-1934: Jan Grzelewski

1934-1939: Professor Tadeusz Gdula

 

 GERMAN OCCUPATION 1939-1945:

1939: Sergeant Nolke (provisional Mayor)

1939-1944: Josef Gruendler, Ph.D.

 

POLAND 1945-1989:

1945: Zygmunt Oczkowski (provisional Mayor)

1945: Piotr Szarek

1945-1947: Józef Wasserstrom

1947-1948: Franciszek Grohs

1948-1950: Franciszek Kobielski

1950: the Mayor's office abolished

 

 THIRD REPUBLIC OF POLAND FROM 1989:

1990-1991: Wojciech Sala

1991-1998: Aleksander Grzybowski

1998-2002: Ryszard Zieliński

2002-2014: Ryszard Kosowski

2014-2015: Marek Niechwiej

2015-2016: board of commissioners

From 2016: Ryszard Kosowski

 

CHRZANÓW COUNTY GOVERNORS (STAROSTS)

(list incomplete)

GRAND DUCHY OF CRACOW 1868-1918:

c. 1870-?:   Walerian Bodakowski

1871-?:       Kajetan Orlecki

1873-1876: Jan Rudolf Kasparek

1879-1881: Aleksander Zborowski

ok. 1882-?: Aleksander Ziembicki

1888-1898: Zygmunt Brochwicz Rogoyski

1898-1901: Antoni Pogłodowski

1901-1905: Edward Czermak

1906-1911: Józef Rudzki

1911-1916: Władysław Chyliński

Aleksander Wysocki (before 1918)

 

SECOND REPUBLIC OF POLAND 1918-1939:

1919: Zygmunt Żuławski

1920: Des Loges

ok. 1921-1926: Mieczysław Solecki

1926-1927: Władysław Trześniowski

1928-1936: Mieczysław Łęcki, Ph. D.

1936-1939: Antoni Basara

 

GERMAN OCCUPATION 1939-1945:

1940-1944?: Walter Cantner, Ph. D.

 

POLAND FROM 1945:

1945-?: Karol Winiarski

1950: the Starost's (Governor's) office abolished

 

THIRD REPUBLIC OF POLAND FROM 1999:

1999-2001: Andrzej Saługa

2001-2002: Ryszard Kosowski

2002-2004: Wiktor Cypcar

2004-2006: Kazimierz Boroń

2006-2010: Janusz Szczęśniak

From 2010: Adam Potocki

 

STREETS OF CHRZANÓW

 

A LIST OF STREETS UNTIL 1893:

Mały Rynek

Rynek (earlierst mentioned in 15 th c.)

ul. Balińska

ul. Dworska (or Zamkowa)

ul. Garncarska (called ul. Szpitalna)

ul. Dobczycka (called ul. Wicherska)

ul. Kadłubek (earlierst mentioned in 15 th c.)

ul. Kościelecka

ul. Kościelna

ul. Krakowska

ul. Luszowska (or ul. Luszowicka, formerly ul. Olkuska)

ul. Poprzeczna

ul. Śląska (called Droga ku Kątom or Kącka)

ul. Świętokrzyska (called ul. Krzyska; earliest mentioned in 15th c.)

A 19th c. house number plaque from Chrzanów

 (from collection of Mr A. Niewieńcz)

A LIST OF STREETS 1893-1918:

 

Aleja Henryka (from 1894)

Mały Rynek

Plac Estery (from 1911)

Rynek

ul. Balińska

ul. Bartosza-Głowackiego (from 1911)

ul. Dobczycka

ul. Garncarska (called ul. Szpitalna)

ul. Grunwaldzka (from 1910)

ul. Jagiellońska (from 1911)

ul. Poprzeczna (until 1911; from 1911 ul. Joselewicza)

ul. Kadłubek

ul. Kościelecka

ul. Kościelna (until 1911; from 1911 ul. Ogrodowa)

ul. Kościuszki (from 1911)

ul. Krakowska

ul. Luszowska (from 1916 ul. Sienkiewicza)

ul. Małgorzaty (c. 1899-1911; from 1911 ul. Sokoła)

ul. Mickiewicza (from 1898; until 1898 ul. Dworska)

ul. Nowa (from 1911)

ul. Ogrodowa (from 1911; until 1911 ul. Kościelna)

ul. Oświęcimska (from 1911; called Wilczy Dół)

ul. Podwale (from 1911)

ul. Rybacka (from 1911)

ul. Sienkiewicza (from 1916; until 1916 ul. Luszowska)

ul. Słowackiego (from 1911)

ul. Szkolna (from 1911)

ul. Śląska

ul. Świętokrzyska

ul. Trzeciego Maja (from 1911)

ul. Trzebińska (from 1911)

ul. Zielona (from 1911)

SPIS ULIC CHRZANOWA 1918-1939/40:

 

Aleja Henryka

Huta (Stara Huta)

Kolonia Fabryczna

Kolonia Rospontowa

Mały Rynek

Osiedle Sieroce (from c. 1937)

Plac Estery

Rynek

ul. 3. Maja

ul. 29. Listopada (from 1930; until 1930 ul. Kościelecka)

ul. Balińska

ul. Bartosza-Głowackiego

ul. Dobczycka

ul. Marszałka Focha (from 1929)

ul. Garncarska

ul. Grunwaldzka

ul. Majora Grzybowskiego (from 1934; until 1934 ul. Nowa)

ul. Jagiellońska

ul. Joselewicza

ul. Kadłubek

ul. Kolejowa

ul. Kościelecka (until 1930; from 1930: ul. 29. Listopada)

ul. Kościuszki

ul. Krakowska (1934-1939 ul. Pierackiego)

ul. Mickiewicza

ul. Niecała

ul. Nowa (until 1934; from 1934 ul. Majora Grzybowskiego)

ul. Ogrodowa

ul. Oświęcimska

ul. Paderewskiego (from 1929)

ul. Piasek (or Piaski)

ul. Pierackiego (1934-1939; until 1934 ul. Krakowska)

ul. Piłsudskiego (from c. 1926)

ul. Podwale

ul. Pogorska

ul. Rybacka

ul. Sienkiewicza

ul. Słowackiego

ul. Sokoła

ul. Szkolna

ul. Śląska

ul. Św. Stanisława (from 1936)

ul. Świętokrzyska (called ul. Krzyska)

ul. Trzebinska

ul. Zielona

 

The 1930s enamel house number plaques which survived the German occupation and communist rule are renowned for their high quality and exceptionally beautiful design. Nowadays they can still be seen on several houses in Chrzanów

A letter posted in 1941 to

 an address on the "Deutsche Strasse" in Chrzanów and a visiting card of a German shop on

 the Aleja Henryka (Henry Avenue) renamed "Deutsche Str."

(German Street)

 

A LIST OF STREETS DURING GERMAN OCCUPATION 1939/40-1945:

 

Alte Hüttestrasse (ul. Stara Huta)

Am Friedhof* (from 1945 ul. Cmentarna)

Am Meierhof* (from 1945 ul. Dworska)

Am Park (ul. Słowackiego)

Auenstrasse* (part of ul. Zielona za Torem, now vicinity of ul. Kwiatowa)

Auschwitzerstrasse (ul. Oświęcimska)

Bachweg* (from 1945 ul. Rzeczna)

Bahnstrasse (ul. Kolejowa)

Bahndammstrasse (ul. Podwale)

Balinerstrasse (ul. Balińska)

Baumgasse* (from 1945 ul. Owocowa)

Bergstrasse (ul. Sienkiewicza)

Beuthenerstrasse (ul. Piłsudskiego)

Bienengasse* (from 1945 ul. Struga)

Birkenweg* (from 1945 ul. Brzozowa)

Blumenweg* (from 1945 ul. Berłowa)

Brunnenweg* (from 1945 ul. Studzienna)

Deutsche Strasse (Aleja Henryka)

Erlenweg* (from 1945 ul. Olszowa, later ul. Orla)

Eschenalle (Osiedle Sieroce)

Esterplatz (pl. Estery)

Fabriksiedlung (Kolonia Fabryczna)

Fabrikstrasse* (from 1945 ul. Fabryczna)

Feldgasse* (from 1945 ul. Polna)

Finkenweg* (from 1945 ul. Grzybowa)

Fischergasse (ul. Rybacka)

Flurgasse* (from 1945 ul. Sienna)

Forstweg* (from 1945 ul. Leśna)

Gartengasse (ul. Ogrodowa)

Gerichtstrasse* (ul. Sądowa, part of ul. Słowackiego)

Grubensweg* (from 1945 ul. Górnicza)

Grünestrasse (ul. Zielona)

Gymnasiumstrasse (ul. Kościuszki)

Hauptstrasse* (from 1945 ul. Główna)

Heidengasse* (from 1945 ul. Borowcowa)

Hundsgasse* (from 1945 ul. Chechlana)

Kanalweg* (from 1945 ul. Kanałowa)

Kastanienalle* (from 1945 ul. Kasztanowa)

Kattowitzerstrasse (ul. Śląska)

Kinderheimstrasse (ul. Marszałka Focha)

Kirchegasse* (from 1945 ul. Kościelna)

Klein Ring (Mały Rynek)

Kohlengasse (ul. Dobczycka)

Korngasse* (ul. Zbożowa; prior to 1939 r. a part of Starej Huty)

Koscielecerstrasse/Koschtieletzerstr. (ul. 29. Listopada)

Krakauerstrasse (ul. Krakowska i ul. Trzebińska)

Kreuzstrasse (ul. Świętokrzyska)

Kupfergasse* (from 1945 ul. Starowiejska)

Kurzegasse* (from 1945 ul. Krótka)

Langestrasse (ul. Kadłubek)

Lerchenweg* (from 1950 ul. Bereska)

Liliengasse* (from 1945 ul. Piaskowa)

Mittelstrasse (ul. Jagiellońska)

Mondgasse (ul. 3. Maja)

Neuestrasse (ul. Majora Grzybowskiego, formerly ul. Nowa)

Pfarrgasse* (ul. Plebańska)

Poststrasse (ul. Sokoła)

Querstrasse (ul. Joselewicza)

Rathausstrasse (ul. Mickiewicza)

Reitweg* (od 1945 ul. Pszczelna)

Ring (Rynek)

Rospontovasiedlung (Kolonia Rospontowa)

Sandgasse (ul. Niecała)

Schulgasse (ul. Szkolna)

Seifengasse* (from 1945 ul. Mydlana)

Sonnenstrasse (ul. Grunwaldzka)

Spitalstrasse (ul. Piasek; from 1945 ul. Szpitalna)

Stellastrasse (ul. Pogorska)

Steingasse (ul. Paderewskiego)

Sterngasse (ul. Św. Stanisława)

Sumpfgasse* (from 1945 ul. Bagnista)

Teichweg* (od 1945 ul. Stawowa)

Töpferstrasse (ul. Garncarska)

Traumgasse* (from 1950 ul. Marchlewskiego)

Weidengasse* (from 1945 ul. Słoneczna)

Weingasse* (from 1945 ul. Winna)

Wiesenstrasse (ul. Bartosza-Głowackiego)

Windgasse* (from 1945 ul. Żmudna)

 

* streets created by German occupation authorities by dividing the existing streets, or naming back streets in Kościelec and at Kąty.

A LIST OF STREETS 1945-1990:

 

Aleja Lenina (prior to 1939 and from 1990 Aleja Henryka)

Kolonia Fabryczna

Kolonia Leśna (to 1966; from 1966 ul. Metalowców)

Kolonia Rospontowa

Kolonia Stella

Kolonia Szpitalna

Osiedle Robotnicze (to 1939 Osiedle Sieroce)

Plac Karola Marksa (1953-1989; to 1953 and from 1989 Rynek Gł.)

Plac Tysiąclecia (from 1971)

Rynek Główny (1945-1953 and from 1989; 1953-1989 pl. Karola Marksa)

ul. 24. Stycznia (1946-1990; to 1946 and from 1990 ul. Piłsudskiego)

ul. 3. Maja

ul. 29. Listopada

ul. 15. Grudnia (1948-1990; to 1948 and from 1990 ul. Marszałka Focha)

ul. 20. lecia PRL (1963-1990; from 1990 ul. Popiełuszki)

ul. Augustyńskiego (1988-1990; from 1990 ul. Krawczyńskiego)

ul. Baczyńskiego (from 1982)

ul. Bagnista

ul. Balińska

ul. Bartosza-Głowackiego

ul. Bereska (from 1950)

ul. Berłowa

ul. Bieruta (1982-1989; from 1989 ul. Niepodległości)

ul. Boczna (from 1967)

ul. Borelowskiego (from 1963)

ul. Borowcowa

ul. Bracka

ul. Broniewskiego (from 1963)

ul. Brzechwy (from 1982)

ul. Brzozowa

ul. Buczka (1966-1990; from 1990 ul. Gen. Grota-Roweckiego)

ul. Cicha (from 1964)

ul. Chechlana

ul. Chełmońskiego (from 1966)

ul. Cmentarna

ul. Daszyńskiego (1946-1953; to 1939 ul. Sokoła, 1953-1990 ul. Koniewa)

ul. Dąbrowskiego Jarosława (from 1951; to 1951 ul. Św. Stanisława)

ul. Dąbrowskiej (from 1967)

ul. Dąbrowszczaków (1966-1990; from 1990 ul. Ligęzów)

ul. Dobczycka

ul. Dolomitowa (from 1967)

ul. Dworska

ul. Dzierżyńskiego (1959-1989; from 1989 ul. Fabryczna)

ul. Fabryczna (1945-1959 and from 1989; 1958-1989 ul. Dzierżyńskiego)

ul. Fałata (from 1988)

ul. Findera (1967-1990; from 1990 ul. Chwastowskiego)

ul. Marszałka Focha (1945-1948; 1948-1990 ul. 15. Grudnia)

ul. Garncarska

ul. Gierymskiego (from 1988)

ul. Główna

ul. Górnicza (from 1966)

ul. Grabowa (from 1982)

ul. Groble (from 1964)

ul. Grottgera (from 1988)

ul. Grunwaldzka

ul. Grzybowa

ul. Hibnera (1966-1990; from 1990 ul. Gen. Okulickiego)

ul. Iwaszkiewicza (from 1982)

ul. Jagiellońska

ul. Jagodowa (from 1982)

ul. Jarzębinowa (from 1982)

ul. Jaśminowa (from 1982)

ul. Jordana (from 1982; 1945-1982 ul. Żabia)

ul. Joselewicza

ul. Junaków OHP (1978-1990; from 1990 ul. Ks. Skorupki)

ul. Kadłubek

ul. Kamienna (from 1967)

ul. Kanałowa

ul. Kasprowicza (from 1982)

ul. Kasztanowa

ul. Kochanowskiego (from 1959)

ul. Kolejowa (from 1964; different location from a pre-1939 street of the same name)

ul. Komuny Paryskiej (1951-1989; to 1951 and from 1989 ul. Świętokrzyska)

ul. Koniewa (to 1946 r. and from 1990 ul. Sokoła; 1946-1953 ul. Daszyńskiego)

ul. Konopnickiej (from 1964)

ul. Kopanina (from 1987)

ul. Kopernika (from 1959)

ul. Kościelna

ul. Kościuszki

ul. Krakowska

ul. Kramarza (1966-1990; from 1990 ul. Nowakowskiego)

ul. Krasickiego Ignacego (from 1959)

ul. Kraszewskiego (from 1964)

ul. Krótka

ul. Krucza (from 1967)

ul. Kubusia Puchatka (from 1982)

ul. Kusocińskiego (from 1982)

ul. Kwiatowa

ul. Lenartowicza (from 1982)

ul. Leśna

ul. Łowiecka (from 1982)

ul. Łukasika (1982-1990; from 1990 ul. Szarych Szeregów)

ul. Makuszyńskiego (from 1982)

ul. Manifestu Lipcowego (1982-1990; from 1990 ul. Kard. Wyszyńskiego)

ul. Marchettiego (from 1982; a part of ul. Sienkiewicza)

ul. Marchlewskiego (1950-1990; from 1990 ul. Gen. Prądzyńskiego)

ul. Matejki (from 1982; a part of ul. Sienkiewicza)

ul. Metalowców (from 1966; to 1966 Kolonia Leśna)

ul. Mickiewicza

ul. Mieszka I (from 1966)

ul. Młyńska (from 1967)

ul. Modrzewiowa (from 1982)

ul. Mydlana

ul. Nałkowskiej (from 1969)

ul. Niecała

ul. Niepodległości (from 1989; to 1989 ul. Bieruta)

ul. Norwida (from 1982)

ul. Nowa (to 1939 and from 1990 ul. Majora Grzybowskiego)

ul. Nowotki (1964-1990; from 1990 ul. Wileńska)

ul. Oczkowskiego (from 1988)

ul. Ofiar Faszyzmu (from 1964)

ul. Ogrodowa

ul. Okrzei (from 1966)

ul. Orkana (from 1964)

ul. Orla

ul. Orzechowa (from 1982)

ul. Orzeszkowej (from 1982)

ul. Oświęcimska

ul. Owocowa

ul. Paderewskiego

ul. Parkowa (from 1964)

ul. Partyzantów (from 1964)

ul. Patelskiego (from 1982)

ul. Pawlikowskiej-Jasnorzewskiej (from 1982)

ul. Pęckowskiego (from 1988)

ul. Piaskowa

ul. Piastowska (from 1966; to 1966 ul. Plebańska)

ul. Pieszechonowa (1982-1990; from 1990 ul. Puchalskiego)

ul. Piłsudskiego (1945-1946 and from 1990; 1946-1990 ul. 24. Stycznia)

ul. Plebańska (1945-1966; from 1966 ul. Piastowska)

ul. Podkowińskiego (from 1988)

ul. Podwale (1950-1956 ul. Stalingradzka)

ul. Pogorska

ul. Polna

ul. Porazińskiej (from 1982)

ul. Powstańców Śląskich (from 1966)

ul. Prusa (from 1964)

ul. Przybosia (from 1982)

ul. Przy Moście (from 1967)

ul. Pszczelna

ul. Reymonta (from 1964)

ul. Rodakowskiego (from 1988)

ul. Różana (from 1972)

ul. Rybacka

ul. Rzeczna

ul. Sądowa

ul. Sawickiej (1964-1990; from 1990 ul. Lwowska)

ul. Sienkiewicza

ul. Sienna

ul. Gen. Sikorskiego (from 1982)

ul. Skalna (from 1967)

ul. Słoneczna

ul. Słowackiego

ul. Sokoła (1945-1946; 1946-1953 ul. Daszyńskiego, 1953-1990 ul. Koniewa)

ul. Sosnowa (from 1967)

ul. Spacerowa (from 1982)

ul. Stalingradzka (1950-1956; 1945-1950 and from 1956 ul. Podwale)

ul. Stara Huta

ul. Starowiejska

ul. Stawowa (consumed by the Pólnoc housing estate)

ul. Struga (from 1964; 1945-1964 as ul. Pszczelna)

ul. Strzelecka (from 1967)

ul. Studzienna

ul. Szafera (from 1982)

ul. Szkolna

ul. Szpitalna

ul. Śląska (1945-1956 ul. Stalina)

ul. Świerczewskiego (1964-1990; from 1990 ul. Powstańców Styczniowych)

ul. Świerkowa (od 1982)

ul. Świętokrzyska (1945-1951 and from 1989; 1951-1989 ul. Komuny Paryskiej)

ul. Św. Stanisława (1945-1951; from 1951 ul. Jarosława Dąbrowskiego)

ul. Topolowa (from 1964)

ul. Transportowców (from 1982)

ul. Trzebińska

ul. Tuwima (from 1964)

ul. Urbańczyka (from 1988)

ul. Wańkowicza (from 1982)

ul. Waryńskiego (1964-1990; from 1990 ul. Skłodowskiej-Curie)

ul. Westerplatte (from 1964)

ul. Winna

ul. Witosa (from 1982)

ul. Wodzińska

ul. Wojska Polskiego (from 1959)

ul. Wrzosowa (from 1964)

ul. Wyczółkowskiego (from 1988)

ul. Wyspiańskiego (from 1982)

ul. Zagórska (from 1967)

ul. Zbożowa

ul. Zielona

ul. Żabia (1945-1982; from 1982 ul. Jordana)

ul. Żelatowa (from 1967)

ul. Żeromskiego (from 1964)

ul. Żmudna

ul. Żurawiec

A LIST OF STREETS SINCE 1990:

 

Aleja Henryka

Aleja Piłsudskiego (1989-1990; from 1990 ul. Armii Krajowej)

Kolonia Fabryczna

Kolonia Rospontowa

Kolonia Stella

Kolonia Szpitalna

Osiedle Robotnicze

Plac Tysiąclecia

Rynek Główny

ul. 3. Maja

ul. 29. Listopada

ul. Armii Krajowej (1989-1990 Al. Piłsudskiego)

ul. Baczyńskiego

ul. Bagnista

ul. Balińska

ul. Bartosza-Głowackiego

ul. Bereska

ul. Berłowa

ul. Boczna

ul. Borelowskiego

ul. Borowcowa

ul. Bracka

ul. Broniewskiego

ul. Brzechwy

ul. Brzezina (from 1992)

ul. Brzoskwiniowa (from 2003)

ul. Brzozowa

ul. Bukowa (from 2003)

ul. Cicha

ul. Chechlana

ul. Chełmońskiego

ul. Chwastowskiego

ul. Cmentarna

ul. Dąbrowskiego Jarosława

ul. Dąbrowskiej

ul. Dobczycka

ul. Dolomitowa

ul. Dworska

ul. Działkowa (from 2003)

ul. Europejska (from 2003)

ul. Fabryczna

ul. Fałata

ul. Focha

ul. Garncarska

ul. Gierymskiego

ul. Główna

ul. Górnicza

ul. Grabowa

ul. Groble (to 2008)

ul. Gen. Grota-Roweckiego

ul. Grottgera

ul. Grunwaldzka

ul. Grzybowa

ul. Majora Grzybowskiego

ul. Harnes (from 2006)

ul. Hydro (from 1996)

ul. Iwaszkiewicza

ul. Jabłoniowa (from 1992)

ul. Jagiellońska

ul. Jagodowa

ul. Jarzębinowa

ul. Jaśminowa

ul. Jesionowa (from 2006)

ul. Jordana

ul. Joselewicza

ul. Kadłubek

ul. Kalinowa (from 1992)

ul. Kamienna

ul. Kanałowa

ul. Kasprowicza

ul. Kasztanowa

ul. Kochanowskiego

ul. Kolejowa

ul. Kołłątaja

ul. Konopnickiej

ul. Kopanina

ul. Kopernika

ul. Kościelna

ul. Kościuszki

ul. Krakowska

ul. Krasickiego

ul. Kraszewskiego

ul. Krawczyńskiego

ul. Kroczymiech

ul. Krótka

ul. Krucza

ul. Kubusia Puchatka

ul. Kusocińskiego

ul. Kwiatowa

ul. Lenartowicza

ul. Leśna

ul. Leszczynowa (from 2003)

ul. Ligęzów

ul. Lwowska

ul. Łowiecka

ul. Gen. Maczka (from 1993)

ul. Makuszyńskiego

ul. Marchettiego

ul. Matejki

ul. Metalowców

ul. Mickiewicza

ul. Mieszka I

ul. Miła (from 2006)

ul. Młyńska

ul. Modrzewiowa

ul. Mydlana

ul. Nałkowskiej

ul. Niecała

ul. Niepodległości

ul. Norwida

ul. Nowakowskiego

ul. Oczkowskiego

ul. Ofiar Faszyzmu

ul. Ogrodowa

ul. Okrzei

ul. Gen. Okulickiego

ul. Olszynowa (from 2003)

ul. Orkana

ul. Orla

ul. Orzechowa

ul. Orzeszkowej

ul. Oświęcimska

ul. Owocowa

ul. Paderewskiego

ul. Parkowa

ul. Partyzantów

ul. Patelskiego

ul. Pawlikowskiej-Jasnorzewskiej (to 2008)

ul. Pęckowskiego

ul. Piaskowa

ul. Piastowska

ul. Piłsudskiego

ul. Podkowińskiego

ul. Podleśna (from 2003)

ul. Podwale

ul. Pogorska

ul. Polna

ul. Popiełuszki

ul. Porazińskiej

ul. Powstańców Styczniowych

ul. Powstańców Śląskich

ul. Gen. Prądzyńskiego

ul. Prusa

ul. Przegon (from 2003)

ul. Przybosia

ul. Przy Moście

ul. Pszczelna

ul. Puchalskiego

ul. Reymonta

ul. Rodakowskiego

ul. Różana

ul. Rybacka

ul. Rzeczna

ul. Sądowa

ul. Sienkiewicza

ul. Sienna

ul. Sikorskiego

ul. Skalna

ul. Skłodowskiej-Curie

ul. Ks. Skorupki

ul. Słoneczna

ul. Słowackiego

ul. Sokoła

ul. Gen. Sosnkowskiego (from 1993)

ul. Sosnowa

ul. Spacerowa

ul. Stara Huta

ul. Starowiejska

ul. Struga

ul. Strzelecka

ul. Studzienna

ul. Szafera

ul. Szarych Szeregów

ul. Szkolna (to 1999, now ul. Woynarowskiej)

ul. Szpitalna

ul. Śląska

ul. Świerkowa

ul. Świętokrzyska

ul. Topolowa

ul. Transportowców

ul. Trzebińska

ul. Tuwima

ul. Urbańczyka

ul. Wańkowicza

ul. Westerplatte

ul. Wileńska

ul. Winna

ul. Witosa

ul. Wodzińska

ul. Wojska Polskiego

ul. Woynarowskiej (from 1999; to 1999 ul. Szkolna)

ul. Wrzosowa

ul. Wschodnia (from 2003)

ul. Wyczółkowskiego

ul. Wyspiańskiego

ul. Kard. Wyszyńskiego

ul. Zagórska

ul. Zbożowa

ul. Zielona

ul. Żelatowa

ul. Żeromskiego

ul. Żmudna

ul. Żurawiec

The Aleja Henryka (Henry Avenue) was renamed in the times of communist rule "Lenin Avenue" in honour of the creator of the Soviet totalitarian state. The ul. Piłsudskiego (Piłsudski Street) was renamed "24th January Street" marking the date of Soviet capture of Chrzanów in 1945. Not even one of the most ancient streets in Chrzanów had been spared, the ul. Świętokrzyska (Holy Cross Street): it was renamed "Paris Commune Street".

 

The erroneous name of Kadłubek St. ("Kadłubka") on a house at 40,

Kadłubek Street, the 1960s.

Modern street and house number plaques